Tuesday 13 March 2007

Padworth 13th March 2007.

Male Stonechat.

Female Stonechat.



An afternoon visit to Padworth, Berks today with the hope that I might get to see Jack Snipe, after the recent rainfall the pathways were flooded and I made a note to myself that I should really invest in a pair of wellies, as I did this I suddenly slipped and ended up in a large puddle with water slowly filling up my walking boots. Ok not a great start but at least now I didn't have to get worried about getting wet, trench foot was a concern but I had put a spare pair of socks in the car so as long as I didn't get lost I'd be alright.
As I entered the common a Buzzard slowly drifted over calling as it went, Green and Great-spotted Woodpecker could be heard calling. Two Chiffchaffs were in full song and it didn't take long to find one chasing insects round the bushes near to me, it briefly perched on the bush to preen and sing before continuing to feed on the abundance of insects that were about.
A male and female Stonechat suddenly appeared on a gorse bush near to me and began feeding on insects, I watched them for sometime before they disappeared over the bushes.
Towards the end of the afternoon a flock of Meadow Pipits gathered across the common ready for roost, as I approached them I flushed a Woodcock from the side of the path, it darted across the common before landing in dense bracken and disappearing from sight.
I didn't find the Jack Snipe but later found 2 Woodlark at an undisclosed site.

No comments: