Sunday 17 August 2008

Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola) - Wilstone Reservoir, Herts. 16/08/08.

A late afternoon drive to Wilstone Reservoir in Herts brought me my first year sighting of Wood Sandpiper today, arriving at the reservoir I made my way to the hide spotting a single Greenshank amongst Lapwing in the south west corner. From the hide 2 Sparrowahawks could be seen perched on the fence posts along the south eastern edge of the reservoir, a rather tired looking female Mandarin Duck was sat on the causeway and I finally managed to see my first Ruddy Ducks of the year as 2 males preened on the water in the eastern side of the reservoir with a Juvenile Garganey close-by. The juvenile Wood Sandpiper was found on the bank of the north eastern shore busy searching for food, it continued to make it's way in a westerly direction along the shoreline before I lost sight of it. An adult Green Sandpiper was on the bund and Common Tern were feeding over the reservoir.

I left the hide and made my way back to the car park only to find the Wood Sandpiper was now being watched from the steps leading to the car park, much better views were given from this viewpoint and again the Sandpiper searched for food along the waters edge.

Added to My Year List.

197. Ruddy Duck

198. Wood Sandpiper

No comments: