Tuesday 30 December 2008

Willow Tit (Poecile montanus) - Combe Wood, Berks. 30th Dec 2008

I have seen Willow Tit on previous occasions at Combe Wood and it seems to be one of a few reliable locations where they can be seen in Berkshire. They tend to favour a number of areas around the top of the hill near Combe Wood or in the wood itself and previous bird races have successfully found this species along with it's close relative the Marsh Tit. On this years TABCG Berkshire Bird Race myself and team member Cathy McEwan had heard one calling but with Roy Rose failing to hear it unfortunately it couldn't be counted for the day.

Having tried a number of locations closer to home where I have seen Willow Tit on previous years without any success I decided to head to Combe Wood for a final attempt before the year ended. After parking the car just off Church Lane I started the steep ascent up the public footpath towards Combe Wood, I remember thinking to myself that this location would be better served earlier in the day when we take part in the Berks bird race next year, it's a killer late in the day especially when you've been on the go since midnight.

At the top of the hill a covey of 9 Red-legged Partridges were seen running along the side of the fields near Summerton's Down and on the other side of the path 5 Stock Doves flew over Wadsmere Down. Continuing along the path to Combe Wood a Nuthatch could be heard calling and I soon came across a party of 14 Long-tailed Tits flitting their way through the wood. I walked slowly down the path attempting my Marsh Tit "pitchoo" call hoping that something might reply, I've had plenty of practice with the Marsh Tits in our garden and with good success I hasten to add. It didn't take long before I heard a Marsh Tit reply and answering it's call I waited for it's reply, it didn't call but instead appeared in a tree just off the path and sat checking me over giving me a nice view, as it flitted back in to the woods another bird called further down the path but this time it was the harsh calls of the Willow Tit which was perched in the trees at the edge of the path. I watched as it made it's way through the trees and at one point could hear another calling nearby, it stayed in view for a good 5 minutes before I lost sight of it in the woods.


Added To My year List.

228. Willow Tit

No comments: