Monday 21 April 2008

South Bucks, 19th April 2008.

Despite the weather turning wet in the afternoon a visit to Higginson Park, Marlow on Saturday brought good views of a pair of Mandarins, 2 Ring-necked Parakeets, Reed Bunting, 2 Pied & 2 Grey Wagtails.Further along the towpath heading south-east 4 Lapwings on the floods to the right of the towpath, 2 Chiffchaffs and 2 pairs of Great Crested Grebe on the river displaying to each other.

A short drive to Medmenham during light showers gave views of 3 Swallows passing over the river Thames heading in the Marlow direction, another 2 Chiffchaffs in good voice and more Ring-necked Parakeets.

I then made my way home through the countryside towards Rockwell where 2 Grey Partridges were feeding alongside Red-legged Partridge and Common Pheasant in the fields, I had seen many variations in the Pheasant species throughout the nearby countryside but as I continued along the road I noticed a very odd individual female that passed across the road infront of the car and into dense cover in a wood adjacent to the road, by the time I had parked up and returned to have a look it had disappeared but it certainly didn't look like a female Common Pheasant. My first thoughts led to one of the rarer Pheasant species, perhaps Golden or Lady Amherst's Pheasant or perhaps a hybridised species, I will certainly have another visit in the hope that I might see it again. Whilst trying to locate the unusual Pheasant a Common Buzzard drifted over and whilst watching it I was amazed to hear a Cuckoo calling from a nearby field, my first of the year and a uplifting sound which carried across the countryside and a timely reminder that it was Spring and not Winter which the weather suggested.


Added To My Year List

132. Mandarin Duck
133. Cuckoo

No comments: