Sunday 25 October 2009

3rd Time Lucky, Or Maybe Not - Chess Valley. 23/10/09

At lunchtime I received a call from Lee E & Joan T telling me they had seen an Osprey carrying a Trout west down the River Chess towards Chenies, they were heading off to South Shields for the Eastern Crowned Warbler and had seen it from the motorway so hearing this I set off for yet another attempt to see it.

Within 15 or 20 minutes I was at Latimer Bridge surveying the countryside but there was no sight, I headed down the road to Mill Farm at Chenies where I hoped to have better luck. At Mill Farm 2 Little Egrets were perched up in the trees looking east and a pair of Stonechats were again showing in the scrubby grass around the river edges but no sign of the Osprey. I decided to have scout around and drove along the country lanes towards Sarratt Bottom meeting Paul Keene who had seen it earlier from Mill Farm, Paul kindly gave me a few good locations to try but unfortunately there was no sign anywhere so I headed back to Mill Farm to wait and see if it flew down the valley. I was soon joined by a very nice gentleman from Chorleywood and we watched the valley till 4pm ish, during that time one of the Stonechats showed again in the scrub near the river, a Little Owl could be heard calling but nothing much more of note. At 3.50pm a lone Raven could be heard calling and then appeared overhead before it headed off Northwards which was a bonus after again dipping the Osprey. I had hoped it would be 3rd time lucky but perhaps it will be 4th time lucky, that's birding for you.

No comments: